History Behind the Building
236 Main St. Woodstock, IL
The 1871 Allen Giles grocery store building also survived the 1892 fire. Between 1905 and 1912 either a new structure extending through to Benton Street was constructed on the property, or the original structure was greatly expanded and altered. In 1914, the C.W. Ritt Saloon was located on the first floor of the building, but then Woodstock voted itself dry and Ritt acquired the McConnell & Hoy news depot business and moved it to the former saloon. Though the business would change hands several times (Wicks and Conley’s, Conley’s, Beyer’s and Lang’s) it remained a news depot until about 1995. A photograph of the building taken in 1919 shows a second story bay window facing Main Street where a pair of windows are today. The bay window was removed and the Main Street storefront was altered by the early 1950’s.
The Cesaroni family purchased the building in the mid 90's. Over the last 30 years our building has housed CES Group, Inc. - The Computer Guy - and Corporate Services.
The idea of Cesaroni's Cafe & Deli had began back in January of 2017. It has been a long project that involved complete demolition of the interior and turning the building into a full restaurant. We have done most of the work ourselves, and it has been a true family establishment. We love the history behind the Woodstock Square and our own building. With that being said, we took pride in keeping the nostalgia and old looks from the past 150 years. We look forward to serving the Woodstock community and working with all of you for many years to come.